Roast Japanese Eggplant
1/4 cup rice-vinegar
3 tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp. sesame oil
2 tbsp. honey
3 tbsp. minced fresh ginger
3 garlic cloves, minced
Sea salt & fresh ground black pepper
(Optional) A pinch of crushed red pepper
2 tbsp. sunflower or safflower oil
5 Japanese eggplants; chopped into about 1-in. pieces
Garnish: Thinly sliced scallions
1. Preheat oven to 425°. Line baking sheet with wax paper or foil.
2. Whisk vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, honey, ginger, garlic, salt, both peppers and oil to make the sauce.
3. Toss the sauce with the chopped eggplant.
4. Place eggplants in the oven and roast for 35 to 45 min or until they’re just starting to brown.
5. Garnish with sliced scallions and serve.