In celebration of July being Ice Cream month, Nielson Massey delivered their Madagascar Pure Vanilla Extract to my doorstep. The representative shared a delicious coconut milk based ice cream, too. I’m looking forward to trying it one day. For now, I love a good ice cream with whole milk and cream. It’s still the best source for vitamin D and calcium. Of course, it’s loaded with sugar, but… let’s not have a nutritious scientific data talk. It’s summer. Temperatures are 95° and above. Icy desserts, such as a Very Vanilla Cherry Pistachio and Chocolate Chip Ice Cream should be savored (or devoured).
This recipe has chopped fresh cherries, toasted Sicilian pistachios and bittersweet chocolate chips. The ice cream custard has tons of vanilla. Of course, this recipe is a rip-off of one of my favorite ice cream brands, Cherry Garcia. The addition of pistachios is my twist to the recipe.
Please forgive me… this is another very short post. The summer days are long. I’ve returned to working full-time. My tan must be maintained. And, there’s more ice cream to make. Stay cool, everyone!
Share your favorite ice cream flavor in the comment section below.
Very Vanilla Cherry Pistachio Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- 1 cup organic whole milk
- 1 tiny pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups organic heavy cream
- 1 tbsp. (10 ml) Nielson Massey Madagascar Pure Vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped fresh cherries
- 1/3 cup chopped bittersweet chocolate (at least 60% cocoa)
- 1/3 cup chopped pistachios; toasted
- Warm the milk and spices in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk the eggs with the salt and sugar in a separate bowl.
- Slowly add warm milk by an eighth a cup to the egg mixture and continue to whisk.
- Pour the milk and egg mixture back into the saucepan and heat slowly over medium-low heat until thickened. Stir mixture constantly until it’s similar to a liquid pudding. Do not let the mixture boil!
- Place mixture in a sealed container and chill in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight.
- Add cold egg and milk mixture to a bowl. Whisk in cream and vanilla to make the custard.
- Add custard to your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s directions. During the last few minutes, mix in the cherries, chocolate and pistachios.
- Depending on the ice cream maker’s brand, if custard is similar to the texture of a slightly firm soft-serve ice cream, place custard in a sealed container in the freezer. Chill until firm.
Copyright 2009-2014, Recipe by MyLifeRunsOnFood.com by Sanura Weathers. All rights reserved.