Double shifts for cash
under the table.
Living with too many people.
But, they’re family.
The space is small.
The landlord only speaks rent.
For political reasons
all too complex
Just wanna work.
You escaped the chaos
from the Motherland.
Her initial downfall was
sleeping with USofA
Like a pimp and an absentee
suddenly doesn’t want you.
Doesn’t want to
His history remains unchanged.
His treatment of others
His treatment of you
He sees you
in your new home.
Where others don’t want to
But, I see you everywhere.
Carrot Cake-Inspired Waffles with Whipped Cream Cheese and Cherry Maple Syrup
Ingredients for Carrot Cake-Inspired Waffles
- 1 stick butter, melted and cooled to room temperature (reserve a little for brushing the waffle maker’s grill while making the waffles)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-¾ cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar or 2 tsp. white sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose, white unbleached flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- (Optional) 2 tbsp. ground flax seed
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. of ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- A pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
- 3 cups of shredded carrots (about 4 to 6 medium sized carrots)
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts, finely chopped (plus more for garnish)
- 1/2 cup toasted finely shredded, unsweetened coconut (plus more for garnish)
- Garnish: 2 to 3 cups fresh cubed pineapple, lightly chopped
Ingredients for Whipped Cream Cheese
- 1 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup of fresh whipped cream
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or 1 tsp. white sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
Ingredients for Cherry Maple Syrup
- 1 cup dark maple syrup
- 1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries
- Place maple syrup and dried cherries in a medium saucepan over medium heat and cover. Bring to a simmer and turn off the heat. Cover and set aside until ready to serve.
- Whisk the cool melted butter, eggs, buttermilk and sugar in one bowl.
- In another larger bowl, mix both flours, optional flax seed, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, carrots, walnuts, and coconut.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients’ bowl. Pour the liquid ingredients in the well to mix into the dry ingredients.
- Let the batter rest for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, follow the manufacturer’s directions for preheating a waffle maker. When the waffle maker is preheated, lightly brush the grills with butter (While making the waffles, if the grills start to look dry, continue to brush the grills with butter in between waffles).
- Spoon batter over the waffle grills (Follow the manufacturer’s directions to determine the appropriate amount of batter to pour). Close the waffle maker (Follow the manufacturer’s directions for finishing waffles). Repeat this step until there's no more batter.
- Meanwhile, Place all the ingredients for the Whipped Cream Cheese in the bowl of the large mixer fitted with the wire whisk attachment. Mix until light and fluffy.
- To Plate: Place one waffle on a plate. Spoon pineapples, toasted coconut and walnuts and a dollop of Whipped Cream Cheese over the waffle. Drizzle the plate with Cherry Maple Syrup.
Recipe makes about 6 waffles.
Copyright 2009-2017, Recipes by Sanura Weathers of MyLifeRunsOnFood.com by Sanura Weathers. All rights reserved.